AVG Free Anti-Virus Software

Today one of my friends asked me which Anti-virus software am I using. I guess it will be a good idea to just put it here, so I don't need to repeat myself should my friends ask me again.

The anti-virus software I'm using is "AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition". It's free for home and non-commercial use. I've been using it on all of my computers (2 desktops and a laptop) for over a year. I think it's good enough for personal use.

You can download the free version here:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/downloads?prd=aff

After you download and install the software, make sure you "set your AVG Free Edition to be updated automatically." The following quote is from the FAQ page item #653:
How to set your AVG Free Edition to be updated automatically
  • run your AVG Free Edition by double-clicking the AVG 7.5 icon on your desktop
  • click the Service menu and choose the Schedule daily update item
  • here you can set the time of your AVG's regular daily update
I set the time to "between 8:00 and 9:59" and also check the box for "If Internet connection is not available, check when it goes on-line."

Also make sure you turn on the "Resident Shield." Basically, it will scan those files you are accessing. (Like when you open a word document, it will scan that document on-the-fly) If it detects a virus, it will prompt you for the risk.

Of course, last but not least, you should scan your computer regularly in case a virus sneaks in.

No comments: